Theory Module Assignment 1 (Essay 1) (5 Short Questions)
Tina Ronan-Hynes (10-11-2008)
Q. 5 Name the 8 Human Tendencies.
A. Dr. Montessori identified 8 human tendencies and her son Mario further developed these at a later date. These tendencies are:
1. Exploration (The human tendency to explore and find out about the universe and how it works)
2. Orientation (The human tendency to want to know where we are in space , in time and in the structures of nature and society)
3. Order (the human tendency to create orderly surroundings)
4. Work/Activity (the human tendency to be active and to seek satisfaction from work)
5. Repetition (the human tendency to repeat things over and over until they become familiar)
6. Exactitude/Precision (This is the mathematical human tendency that leads to scientific discoveries based on precise detailed observation)
7. Communication (The basic human tendency and need to communicate)
8. Imagination (The powerful human urge to create new ideas-it makes humans the ‘unparalleled work of nature’).
Essay No. 2 (5 short Questions) Tina Ronan-Hynes (15-12-08)
Q.5 List three features of the cosmic plan that is used to educate children using cosmic education.
A. Montessori believed that education begins at birth. In the first plane of development (0-6 years), the young child needs the freedom to explore and absorb the environment as their impulses drive them. The result is love and joy of everyone and everything around them.
The older child (6-12 years) must be given not only the world, but the universe and a vision of the cosmic role in the creation and maintenance of our globe. They need to know the scope of all creation and how they as human beings came into this world and made it what it is today. This is the stage of development where Montessori recommends a comic education for the child.
Three features of Montessori’s cosmic plan include:
1) Order: This according to...