2. Assignment: Ethnic Groups and Discrimination
• Resources: Racial and Ethnic Groups, the Internet, and the University Library
• Due Date: Day 7 [Individual] forum
• Choose an ethnic group to which you personally belong. If you identify with more than one group, choose the group with which you most identify or about which you would like to learn more.
• Write a 700- to 1,050-word, APA-formatted essay, answering the following questions:
o Using any of the resources identified above, research to determine if the group colonized or if it immigrated to the United States. Did the group face prejudice, segregation, racism or any combination of the three? If so, how and why? Include your research findings in your essay. You may search through chapters of the text as part of your research.
o Was this group effected by or did it participate in any of the following forms of discrimination? If so, describe:
• Dual labor market
ETH 125 Cultural Diversity Course Syllabus Page 13
• Environmental justice issues
• Affirmative action
• Double jeopardy
• Institutional discrimination
• Reverse discrimination
• Glass ceiling, glass walls, or glass escalator
o Do you culturally identify more with the ethnic group you examined, with United States mainstream culture, or with both equally?
Between 1820 and 1860, the Irish were never less than a third of all immigrants. The British Passenger Acts attempted to deflect the immigration from the British Isles to Canada instead of the U.S., making the fare a cheap 15 shilling compared to the 4 or 5 pound fare to New York. Many Irish soon found it convenient to take the affordable trip to Canada, where they could buy cheap fares to the U.S., or cheaper yet, they could walk across the border. By 1840, the Irish constituted nearly half of all entering immigrants, and New England found it self heavily foreign born. By 1950, the Irish consisted of one fifth of all foreign born in the originally...