ESC 2315-Early Childhood Development Assignment -1
1 Explain what is meant by child development. (10 marks)
Child development refers to the biological and psychological changes that occur in human beings between birth and the end of adolescence. Children grow, develop, and learn throughout their lives from birth and infancy to adulthood. A child’s development can be measured through social, physical, and cognitive developmental milestones. Child development describes the series of predictable changes and learning that typically occur while children are growing. These changes occur in different domains.
1. Cognitive Development -. It is the development of the thinking and organizing systems of the mind. It involves language, mental imagery, thinking, reasoning, problem solving, and memory development.
2. Social Development - Child’s interaction with others and development of his personality. Factors – self awareness, extension of social environment and socialization, play with others, co-operation and sharing
3. Intellectual Development - The process of making sense of the world around them and they develop their intelligence by play and imitation.
4. Physical Development – changes in appearance, proportion, and functioning of child’s body.
5. Fine Motor Development: Fine motor skills can be defined as small muscle movements: those that occur in the finger, in coordination with the eyes.
6. Gross Motor Development: Gross Motor skills involve the larger muscles in the arms, legs and torso. Gross motor activities include walking, running, throwing, lifting, kicking, etc. These skills also relate to body awareness, reaction speed, balance and strength.
7. Emotional Development - Development of self-awareness, self-confidence, and coping with feelings as well as understanding them.
8. Creative development- The development of special abilities creating talents. Music,...