EFFECTIVE WAYS TO
GET ACTIVE AS A FAMILY
February 23, 2015
There is no doubt that parenting takes a great deal of time and energy. Although it would seem that becoming active as a family group would expend even more energy and possibly create more stress, the opposite is true. When the whole family participates in physical activities, children learn that being active is fun and makes everyone feel better.
There are many ways in which you can get all family members up and participating in a newer, healthier lifestyle:
1. Make a list as a family of activities you would all like to do together, and post a schedule.
2. Make sure the list includes things everyone enjoys doing.
3. Plan a monthly activity that involves walking outdoors, such as a trip to the zoo or camping.
SETTING FAMILY RULES
Once you have started this regimen, you will probably notice that the entire family has an increased energy level. However, you may still need a few family rules to keep everyone on track:
• Set a limit on the number of television hours allowed.
• Set a limit on computer games and Internet use.
• Don’t use food as a reward for participating in family activities.
• Make these activities a high priority in your daily and weekly routines.
If you practice these methods to create and maintain the energy levels for your family, you will find that these routines will become a natural part of your daily life. Enjoy the change and experiment with new activities each week. You will likely be pleasantly surprised at the changes you see in the family unit.