What is alcohol?
Alcohol is a drug (a chemical that has an effect on the body, and is not a food).
There are different kinds of alcohol.
The kind that people drink is called ethyl alcohol.
This is made by fermenting different things with yeast and water.
|[pic] |What is used and the way this is done depends on what kind of drink is being |
| |made. |
| |[pic]|Grain makes whisky and beer. |
| |[pic]|Potatoes make vodka. |
| |[pic]|Grapes make wine and brandy. |
| |[pic]|Honey makes mead. |
| |[pic]|Sugar makes rum. |
How does alcohol affect people?
1. A small amount of alcohol can make the person feel relaxed.
2. With more alcohol, people cannot control their behaviour (they may do silly things or be violent), and their movements are more clumsy (uncoordinated).
What happens to alcohol in the body?
1. Alcohol goes from the mouth to the stomach and small intestine.
2. It passes through the walls of the stomach and small intestine into the bloodstream.
3. The blood takes the alcohol to the brain where it slows down the messages in the brain (alcohol is a depressant drug).
4. The blood also takes the alcohol to the liver, which starts to take out the alcohol from the blood.
5. The more alcohol that is drunk the longer it takes for the liver to clean it all out.
Why young people drink alcohol
All the ads about alcohol show people having fun, surrounded by friends, and give the message...