* Definitions: disaster, hazard, risk, risk analysis, hazard assessment
* Types and examples of hazards
* Top 5 global deadliest disasters
* Top 5 global deadliest hazards
* Top 5 Canada-US deadliest hazards
* Top 5 most deadly disasters in Canada
* Top 3 global most costly hazards
* Top 5 global most costly disasters
* Top 5 most costly disasters in Canada
* Hazard trends…take care to interpret the data
* Definitions: Forecast, Hindcast, Prediction, Warning, Watch
* Elements involved in prediction
* What are forecasts usually based upon?
* Types of models
* Examples of models
* Definition of magnitude and frequency
* Definition and units of energy
* Five fundamental sources of disaster energy
and their relative abundances today
* Concept of exponential decay
* What is a hurricane (definitions)
* Source regions of hurricanes
* What makes a hurricane?
* What conditions must exists?
* Evolution of a hurricane
* Pressure gradient, Coriolis Effect, Centrifugal Force
* Eye, wall, rainbands, latent heat, size, winds and wind structure
* Where will the winds be the strongest in a hurricane?
* How do we communicate storm intensity or magnitude?
* Saffir Simpson scale...(know the lecture version)
* Trends in hurricanes affecting North America
* Attributes of a track of a hurricane (Juan)
* Comparison of magnitude variables and intensities of Juna, Rita, and Katrina
* How to mitigate a hurricane hazard
* Definitions of plate tectonics
* Convection, subduction, arc volcanoes, ocean islands, accreted terranes, plate boundary
* Internal structure of the Earth (know depths and densities)
* Plate names (and where they are)
* Evidence of plate tectonics
* How do we know rates of tectonics? (examples from current research)
* How do we know rates of tectonics?
* Plate boundaries
* Effects of the motion along...