Hazard of Malathion:
* Malathion is estimated to cause about 90 cases of related illness.
* Estimated to cause 5 deaths per application.
* Malathion can cause cholinesterase inhibition which can cause cholinergic poisoning.
* Can cause chronic effects such as peripheral neuropathy, neurobehavioral effects, and the development of allergic sensitivity.
* Reports of carcinogenicity are non-conclusive.
* Reports on many health effects still needs further studies and evidences to make conclusive statement.
* Can kill other animals especially the mosquito predators.
* Can damage the fragile ecosystem important to tourism.
* Residues can contaminate food resources.
* Reaction varies according to individual sensitivity, some are tolerant to high doses, and some are highly reactive to relatively low doses.
* Children and individuals with low body mass can be more reactive to low doses.
* Uneducated people face the risk of close exposure if they do not follow safety precautions.
* Uninformed people face the risk of close exposure if they are not aware of the aerial spraying.
* As the chemical will spread on air, most residents will have the exposure by inhalation of the mist formed from the applied insecticide.
* Some people are at risk of eating or handling food contaminated with Malathion.
* Unavoidable exposure to resides of Malathion is predicted as some residents are needed to go back to their work or normal activities and cab have dermal contact with contaminated plants or by ingestion of water or food borne residues.
* People particularly the poor and uneducated who will not follow safety precautions are at risk of developing adverse effect.
* Uninformed people who might not know of the aerial spraying are at very high risk of developing adverse effect, the worst is the possibility of death if at close exposure.