Lesson 3: due Wednesday by midnight of due date period 2
Plan on a busy week!!! Remember that you are being asked to do 2 lessons each week. The first assignments (lesson 3) are due on Wednesday and the next (lesson 4) are due on Saturday. Please recall that I will be posting two announcements each week to provide some helpful information for each lesson. Doing a little bit each day this week will help you to succeed on the assignment. If you wait until the last minute, you may be overwhelmed and miss important details.
Lesson 3 focuses on “cell structure and function”. This week’s readings will combine what you have already learned in lessons 1 and 2.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
1. Cite the key features of the cell theory.
2. Contrast the general features of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
3. Describe the nucleus of eukaryotic cells in terms of structure and function.
4. Describe the organelles associated with the endomembrane system, and tell the general function of each.
5. Contrast the structure and function of mitochondria and chloroplasts.
6. List several surface structures of cells and tell how they help cells survive.
This lesson’s reading: Chapter 4 in your text.
Now that we are in week 2, you will be reading more about eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells and the specific functions of particular proteins within these cells. This week’s lessons provide a significant amount of new terms. So, I suggest you keep a running list of new vocabulary and words that are unfamiliar to you. Keeping a list, a table and drawings will benefit you. Look over this material each day to continue reminding yourself. I also suggest creating flashcards to help review for the midterm and final. For example, write the name of the organelle on one side and its function on the opposite side. This is a great way to quiz yourself.
The chapter begins with a great introduction on microscopes;...