Environmental Intervention Partner Project
Objective: Students will propose an ‘Ecology Intervention’ for an ecological issue of their choosing and prepare a statement to present to congress.
After completing the Ecology unit and learning about the delicate balance within an ecosystem consider the impact that humans have in your community.
- Select a specific way in which humans impact the ecosystem negatively.
o Describe your selected human action and how it effects the ecosystem
• biotic and abiotic factors
• any processes that the human action impact and describe them. (i.e. using fertilizer creates algal blooms that inhibit photosynthesis and deplete oxygen from aquatic ecosystems)
• Why is it important to address this issue (What would happen if we left this issue unchecked)
- Propose and describe environmental intervention to help irradiate the impact of your selected human action:
o Community Engagement Project (Ex: A day where people work together to complete a specific task)
o Legislation (Ex: A reasonable law that rewards or punishes particular actions)
o Educational Program (Design an educational program that aims to educate a specific group of people).
o Communications/Ad Campaign ( A commercial or other form of communication aimed at a large group of people to promote change, Ex: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
o Your Target Audience
▪ Who is your program aimed to engage? (Example: All High school students in Prince George’s County)
▪ What resources will you need in order to complete your project
▪ Where will you get these resources
▪ Is there anyone or anything that may prevent your project from being a success? (Attitudes or beliefs of individuals or groups)
• Example: People don’t see the connection between...