STAT 121 Writing Assignment 1 Confidence Intervals
Buy Now From Below:
STAT 121: Writing Assignment 1
Confidence Intervals (12 points)
Directions: Read the following article and answer each question completely but concisely. Be sure to save a copy of your work, and see the syllabus for submission details. (The spacing between the questions is not necessarily an indication of the expected response length.)
Journal March 26, 2010
Resting Heart Rates of American Adults
A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute,” reports Dr. Edward Laskowski of the Mayo Clinic. Lower resting heart rates are generally associated with higher cardiovascular fitness. With the marked increase in obesity in America, there is rising concern that the average resting heart rate of American adults is trending towards the higher end of the accepted range. A recent study conducted by the Statistical Health Association of America validates this concern. Results were based on a sample of 1587 American adults (ages 18 and older). The mean resting heart rate from this sample was calculated at 87 beats per minute (bpm). The study concludes that, with 95% confidence, the true mean resting heart rate of American adults is in the interval (80, 94).
1. (1 point) What is the population that the confidence interval in the article is making an inference about? Be specific.
• It is making an inference about all adults (ages 18 and older) in America.
2. (1 point) What is the parameter of interest for the confidence interval in context?
• The parameter of interest is the true average resting heart rate of all American adults.
3. (2 points) Give the confidence interval as reported in the article. Is the reported interval in the form of an interval or is...