Week One Assignment
* Write at least 300 words describing a time when you had to test a theory. This theory may be something you have tested at work, school, or even at home.
* Answer the following questions in your summary:
* What type of informal research method did you use?
* How was your research method similar to research methods used by psychologists?
* If given another opportunity, what would you have done differently?
I have never really had to test a theory; however, I did have to do a test with my son and his medications during his sophomore year in school. This was very important to me because my son suffers with Asperger’s Autism, ADHD (Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). We have been to so many doctors, psychiatrists and counselors we felt like there was nothing that was working. Finally, I got fed up and I told his doctor to refer us to a psychologist that had a good reputation whose specialty was working with children with these disorders. When we went to see him, he took and really observed my son by talking to him and asking him questions and even testing him to see how and what he gets angry at. As a mom, it was very important to me that we get this straightened out before he would start to have more trouble in school. The psychologist told me that he wanted me to try a different couple of medications but the important thing was I needed to find the right time of day to give it to him. As soon as we got home, I did some research on the medications to see what the side effects were associated with them. I first started out giving the meds at 7am and then again at 7 pm. He said the medications were wearing off to early throughout the day and suggested we call the doctor. The doctor told me try to give the medicine to him at 8am and give him a bigger dose so I had to go back and get another prescription. The change in dosage and time finally it worked...