Answer each of the following questions (please use complete sentences).
1. (1 point) How and to what extent have humans affected their natural environment?
ANSWER: We have drained wetlands and cleared natural vegetation from vast areas of land. We have used poisons that kill pests and plant disease, but it also has killed predators and other useful organisms, which has disrupted the delicate balance of nature.
2. (1 point) To what extent is animal life dependent on green organisms?
ANSWER: Animals depend on green organisms to survive. Some eat them for food, but all animals require them for air to breathe.
3. (1 point) How are polymers formed?
ANSWER: Polymers (many units) are formed when two or more small units called monomers (single units) bond together by way of a hydrogen being removed from one monomer and a hydroxyl being removed from another, creating an electrical attraction between them.
4. (1 point) What is the difference in covalent and ionic bonds?
ANSWER: -Ionic Bonds: when two oppositely charged ions come in contact. Electrons in the outermost orbital are completely removed from one atom and transferred to another which causes a particle to become positively or negatively charged ion.
-Covalent Bonds: they complete their outermost energy level by sharing a pair of electrons in the outermost orbital.
5. (1 point) What is the function of the cell wall in plants?
ANSWER: The cell wall defines the shape and size of the plant. Most life on earth relies directly or indirectly on the cell wall. Humans depend on it for clothing, shelter, furniture, paper, and fuel. It’s a primary food source for grazing animals. In wood, it helps the transport of water without collapsing.
6. (1 point) What is the function of a cell nucleus?
ANSWER: The nucleus is the control center of the cell.
7. (1 point) Describe the parts of a chloroplast.
ANSWER: -Outer membrane: derived from endoplasmic reticulum.