ANCIENT GREEK CONTRIBUTIONS DBQ
This task is based on the accompanying documents. Some of these documents have been edited
for the purpose of this task. This task is designed to test your ability to work with historic
documents. As you analyze the documents, take into account both the source of the document
and the author’s point of view
_ Historical Context
Many of the roots of Western civilization can be traced back to the ancient Greeks. They made
long lasting contributions in areas of art, architecture, philosophy, math, drama, and science.
The following question is based on the accompanying documents. As you analyze the
documents, take into account both the source of the document and the author’s point of view. Be
1. Carefully read the document-based question. Consider what you already know about
the topic. How would you answer the question if you had no documents to examine?
2. Now, read each document carefully, underlining key phrases and words that address
the document-based question. You may also wish to make notes. Answer the
questions which follow each document.
3. Based on your own knowledge and on the information found in the documents,
formulate a thesis that directly answers the question.
4. Organize supportive and relevant information into a brief outline.
5. Write a well-organized essay proving your thesis. The essay should be logically
presented and should include information both from the documents and from your
own knowledge outside the documents.
Document 1: This excerpt is from Pericles’ Funeral Oration, given to Athenians in about 430
Q: What type of government was Pericles describing? What were his expectations for
citizens in this type of government? See additional information on page 123....