Introduction to Desktop Support
Dear Professor Schurr:
1. Briefly, what types of businesses, corporations, or companies would choose to configure a workgroup? A domain? A multiple domain? Why?
Answer: A workgroup would generally be used in a personal home network or small business network where the computers are in close proximity of each other. The reason this group would be chosen is because they are easy to setup and easy to maintain. Domains are generally used by large corporations because they are the most secure of network types. They are also able to have their network span across buildings or even states. A Multiple domain is typically used by companies that have merged together or span across multiple countries. They are expensive but required when more than one domain is needed.
2. Taking into account what you’ve learned about workgroups and domains, network topologies, corporate and non-corporate tier structures, call center environments, hands-on repair shops, and ISPs, describe which environment you would most like to work in. Cite five (5) reasons for your decision.
Answer: I would definitely like to work in a call center environment. I would like it to be in a non-corporate setting, and would seek a tier 3 desktop technician position.
1. Right now the money is better than in a hands-on repair shop.
2. It would be more conducive to my physical limitations.
3. I naturally enjoy dealing with people, and I’m good at it.
4. I don’t want to work for corporate America.
5. I believe there will be growth in this area in the coming years.