HS 140 Unit 8 Assignment Applying Pharmacology Principles
PART 1: CASE STUDIES
Mrs. Kaplan has been diagnosed with GERD. Mrs. Kaplan called Dr. Ferrari for a
prescription refill of her medication. Her last prescription was written 4 months
ago for Aciphex 20mg to be taken by mouth once a day for 4 weeks. Mrs. Kaplan is
calling to get a refill of the same medication.
1. What further questions do you, the allied health professional, need to ask Mrs.
Kaplan when she calls for a refill?
2. Dr. Ferrari will not be available until tomorrow. Do you need to wait to call in
3. Why MIGHT Dr. Ferrari want to see Mrs. Kaplan prior to prescribing her
4. Document the phone call as you would in the medical record.
Annie is 3 years old and is being seen for what appears to be an ear infection.
Annie’s mother asks if it is safe to give Annie children’s aspirin because she has
some at home. Her husband takes it as a “blood thinner.”
1. What is your response to Annie’s mother?
2. Annie will be given an antibiotic. Her mother mentions that she is allergic to
penicillin. What are some checks and balances that should be in place at the
physician’s office and in the pharmacy to ensure that errors are not made with
patients with allergies to certain antibiotics?
PART 2: DOCUMENTATION APPLICATION
The following patients were in the clinic today. Verbal prescriptions were given to
you to document in the patients’ medical records.
Document the following verbal prescriptions as they would appear in a medical
record and when their next dose will be (next dose). For documentation purposes
you will likely need to express time in international standard time. Be sure to
express your answer in using international standard time. Hint: Review the
resources provided in the reading and on pages 127 and...