Jeanne M. Anderson, Attorney at Law
Purpose: To give an informative speech to my classmates about my interview with Jeanne Anderson so that they will understand what it takes to be a successful lawyer.
Thesis: There are many skills needed to become a successful lawyer.
A. “The first thing we must do is kill all lawyers,” states Shakespear in one of his famous plays. The audience applaused wildly.
B. A lawyer sat on a toilet, minding his own business, the dinosaur grabbed him, and with one gulp, swallowed him whole to the applause of Jurassic Park movie watchers.
C. Though the lawyering profession is often the butt of many jokes, Jeanne Anderson loves her job and says she couldn’t imagine herself doing anything else.
Transition: Jeanne Anderson is a lawyer practicing in Stillwater, Minnesota. She owns her own firm. She explained her love for her profession by explaining a day in her life.
A. After graduating from the University of Minnesota, Jeanne Anderson was accepted to William Mitchell College of Law.
1. She was greeted on her very first day by the Dean of Students. He informed her and the rest of her class that less than one-half of the students currently standing there would be doing so at graduation.
2. Law school was extremely difficult. She spent many nights studying into the wee hours of the night.
3. She studied a variety of subjects. They studied all aspects of civilized life.
4. She then had to pass the bar exam. Show visual aid.
B. The purpose of law is to protect us.
1. The law protects our rights, our freedoms, and our security.
2. A lawyer is an advocate on our behalf when the law is broken.
3. This explains why the criminal in the Shakespear play wanted lawyers dead.
4. This was the first thing Hitler did was...