Is Money to Blame for Unethical Conduct?
Respond to one of the following prompts by writing a focused, well-developed, organized paper that follows the conventions of standard American English. Type or word-process your paper, using 10 to 12 point font in Calibri, Ariel, Times New Roman, or some other standard font style. Please double-space and paginate your paper. Follow the format as suggested on pages 55-57 in Writer’s Reference.
You should include a title; your paper should be from 2 to 4 pages in length.
1. How would Milton Friedman justify the conduct of Ford Motor Company executives as described in Mark Dowie’s “Pinto Madness?" Is cost-benefit analysis an ethical way to run a business?
2. How would Horatio Alger’s Dick have fared if he had worked for one of the businesses described in “Cheating in a Bottom-line Economy” by David Callahan? Does that suggest that “shady” actions are necessary to get ahead in 2014?
3. Which of Arianna Huffington’s claims seem to be amply supported? Why or why not do you agree with her that the United States has suffered a “corporate takeover of democracy?”
4. Who makes the more persuasive case: Arianna Huffington or Bradley Smith? Why do you think so?
5. The Occupy Wall Street movement was an act of civil disobedience. Do you approve of civil disobedience as a means of protest? If not ever, why? If only under certain conditions, what conditions—and why?
Finally, you may develop a prompt of your own, as long as you refer to one or more of the reading selections from Chapter 3.