A. Attention Getter: What do Oprah Winfrey, Will Ferrell, Sean Puffy Combs, and George W. Bush have in common? They have all run a marathon at some point in their life.
B. Audience: Has anyone ever thought about running a marathon? Do you think it would be impossible for you to run a marathon?
C. Credibility: I have been running for the past 8 years. I have run several races including 5k’s, 8k’s, 10 milers, ½ marathons, and a full marathon. I completed the Chicago marathon in 2010.
D. Thesis Statement: Today I would like to tell you how to train for a marathon.
E. Preview of Min Points: There are three key things you want to keep in mind when training for a marathon and they are: proper running gear, training, and proper diet.
A. The first thing you need to do is have the appropriate running gear.
1. The type of shoe you choose to run in can, in fact, make a big difference in preventing injury. The rule is to buy running shoes a ½ size bigger than normal because your feet will swell up when running long distances.
2. The type of clothing you wear depends on the weather. If it’s cold outside, you will need layers to trap heat and if it’s warm, you will need light clothing that will release the heat from your body quickly.
3. Wearing sunglasses will help protect your eyes from UV rays as well as help keep the wind and debris out of your eyes.
A. Now that we have talked about the appropriate running gear, you are now ready to start training. There are a few things you can do to help you stay focused.
1. Start running with a group or friend. Running with a group or a friend will help you stay committed to your training. It is also a good way to get some advice from other runners.
2. Keep a journal. Keeping a journal will allow you to look back at certain days and see how your runs...