INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR CHANGE OF NAME
1. Only District of Columbia residents may request the DC Superior Court to have their name
changed regardless of where they were born.
2. Applications are filed either in the Civil Actions Branch, Room 5000 of the District of Columbia
Superior Court located at 500 Indiana Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20001 or in Family Central
Intake Center, Room JM‐540 of the District of Columbia Superior Court.
3. After filing, the Application for Change of Name will be reviewed in Judge‐In‐Chambers, Room
4220 of the District of Columbia Superior Court located at 500 Indiana Avenue, NW,
Washington, DC 20001.
4. The application will be reviewed for completion, clarity and proper supporting documentation.
5. A minor cannot file an Application for Change of Name without the consent or knowledge of
6. The applicant should have been a resident of the District of Columbia for at least six months or
be able to provide proof of residence (i.e., rental lease, bill, pay stub, W‐2 statement).
7. The applicant must have an original birth certificate.
8. Foreign birth certificates must be translated into English through their designated Embassy or a
9. The applicant must have valid identification.
10. The cost of the filing fee is $60.00 (cash or money order) plus the cost of publication.
11. The applicant is responsible for the cost of publication.
12. In addition to the birth certificate and depending on the request for change of name, the
applicant may be required to submit the following supporting documentation to support their
• Marriage Certificate
• Divorce Decree
• Citizenship Certificate
• Child Support Order
• Acknowledgement of Paternity
• Adjudication of Paternity
Order Terminating Parental Rights
Notarized letter of consent of a parent ...