To: Maria Trinh, CIO
CC: Julie Saagman, Adminisitrative Assistant
From: Jason Madrid, IT Consultant
Re: Active Directory Implementation
THE FOLLOWING IS A PROPOSAL FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ACTIVE DIRECTORY WITHIN THE RIORDAN MANUFACTURING ORGANIZATION. THE CONTENTS BELOW WILL PROVIDE A WORKING DEFINITION OF MICROSOFT ACTIVE DIRECTORY, THE BENEFITS IT WILL PROVIDE TO RIORDAN, A BASE DIAGRAM OF ACTIVE DIRECTORY FOR RIORDAN, AND A DETAIL ANALYSIS OF THE ACTIVE DIRECTORY DIAGRAM.
Active Directory (AD) is different from specialized and often disconnected directories. Active Directory is designed to play many different roles within an organization. The roles range from managing Windows networks to managing Active Directory enabled applications. The bottom line is that Active Directory empowers organizations to centralize their directory management in a more streamlined, powerful and flexible manner.
Active Directory Benefits
Active Directory brings a wide range of benefits to an organization. The primary benefits stem from the use of Active Directory as a network operating system (NOS). This proposal focuses on utilizing Active Directory as a network operating system. The following are highlights of some of the advantages of Active Directory:
• Centralized management of very large Windows networks (Active Directory is designed to support millions of objects).
• The ability to eliminate resource domains, including the hardware and administration they entail.
• Policy-based desktop lockdown and software distribution.
• The ability to delegate administrative control over resources where appropriate.
• Simplified location and use of shared resources.
An obvious theme throughout the above benefits is the centralization and simplification of network resource...