I. Music has changed over time
II. A. Music has been divided throughout time into seven different periods.
III. 1. Antiquity. From the years 480 to 800’s. no known composers. It is characterized by monophony.
2. Medieval. From years 800 to 1400’s. Characterized for being Sacred music / Secular music.
3. Renaissance. From years 1400 to 1600’s. Known as the rebirth of music.
4. Baroque. From years 1600 to 1750’s. Characterized for having continued bass lines and ornamentation.
5. Classical. From 1750 to 1820’s. Known as the age of enlightenment.
6. Romantic. From 1820 to 1900’s. Characterized by personal feelings and emotion.
7. Contemporary. From 1900 until present. The birth of jazz, blues, pop, electronic music, among others.
b. Music is used on different ways such as in, religion, rituals, parties, elections, national anthems, etc.
c. Through time music has been changing to analog to more digital music.
V. Music has a great impact and influence throughout the entire world.
a. Music is a type of universal language in which humans can communicate.
b. It unifies different people of different races or religions.
c. Music can also be used for therapeutic purposes.
III. Instruments are divided into four main groups.
1. Sound by striking, pounding, or plucking.
2. Some good examples of percussion are the drums, xylophone, marimba, timpani, and bells.
1. Stringed instruments produce sound by vibrating strings
2. The guitar, violin, viola, cello, and counter bass fall in this category.
1. Woodwinds are instruments that produced sound by the player blowing into a mouthpiece.
2. Examples of woodwind instruments are the flute, oboe, clarinet, and bassoon.
1. Brass instruments are instruments that produce sound by a sympathetic vibration of air.
2. The trumpet, saxophone, tuba, French horn...